"and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" John 8:32

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens


Thursday, October 7, 2010

downtown gurl

I got 'dressed' and went to West Palm Beach's Clematis Street fair last Thursday as Elly, its a free outdoor concert and generally good time with lots of bars playing a variety of music. I parked my car and was walking toward the concert when nature called; as I was near the Public library and it was still open I went inside, took a breath of air, and went into the 'ladies'. Of course, as luck would have it there were three teenage girls at the mirror. I smiled and retreated to a stall remembering to face the door. I peed, used some paper, flushed and left to wash my hands. I smiled at the girls and was out of there-no giggles were heard. Continued on to the concert and enjoyed the last hour of music on a beautiful night. I knew of a bar that was close and had a good house band on Thursday so I went in and had two drinks listening to more good music. It was time for me to go as I had a 45 minute drive home.

On Friday, I went back to West Palm in the early afternoon to check in at the Marriott for another fun evening. Had a great dinner at a Cuban restaurant, dining en femme. I went for a walk and stopped back into the bar from the previous night but it was too early for music, I had a drink and went back to my car area. On the way there, music was coming from some store-front place, one of those without a name that I could see. It was some kind of techno-club but the music had me intrigued. I went in and stood listening to the band for a while and ended up talking to a gg who was close to my age. We had a few drinks together, danced, and then she asked me, 'Are you a real girl'? I said no, I'm transgender. She had never met anyone like me I guess, but wasn't put off either. We talked a little more and then it was time for me to leave and go back to my room, I wasn't looking for anything more than dancing and conversation.

When I woke up Saturday it was time to step out in a denim skirt (above the knee but decent), heeled sandals, and my Ann Taylor white blouse. First to Starbucks for an overpriced espresso and roll (got ma'med by staff) and then on to the Norton Museum of Art. I felt very much at ease walking in daylight from where I parked my car to the entrance, bought a ticket and strolled through looking at their collection of paintings. Lunch was in the museum cafe where I had a very good curried chicken salad and a glass of Chardonnay. What a pleasant feeling to walk around in a skirt with the breeze on my smooth legs!. Then it was home and back to drab.

Not once did I feel threatened or hear any disparaging remarks being alone in the 'big city' and my confidence level has greatly increased. What a great weekend it was!

Hugs, Elly

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What surprised me most about this post, was not so much that you were accepted as a woman everywhere you went, but what a brave girl you are, Elly!

Most cis-women wouldn't go out to a restaurant, and then out for drinks completely by themselves! I do hope you are aware of the risks of going out solo at night, and that you never put yourself in a position where you could be harmed. That would be heartbreaking. Nevertheless, congratulations on a great weekend!

Melissa XX

Jenny said...

Congratulations, that must have been a boost to your confidence!

Elly said...

Thanks for your kind comments Jenny and Melissa. And yes, Melissa, I'm very much aware of being the single 'woman' out at night; Elly has an early curfew and I wouldn't put myself in just any bar of club.

Elly