"and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" John 8:32

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens


Friday, September 3, 2010

Running out for donuts....

I run to keep fit and help lower my blood pressure. In the past I have run 12 marathons with the last one qualifying me for the Boston Marathon back in '92. I couldn't go to Boston because of the expense involved, something I now wish wish I had done. I was burned out and also on some heavy-duty psychotropic meds which almost killed me (a story for another time). I got back into the running in 1998 and have been at it ever since-just not competitive anymore.

I now have changed a bit and do a 'power walk/run' of 3 miles (5km)taking 45 minutes 6 times a week. It's a good pace. I am en femme when I go out; lycra workout shorts, panties, sports bra, tank top, and my one concession-boy shoes. It's still dark when I go out and I really don't care if I'm seen anyway. Living in south Florida one has to take the coolest part of the day and that's 0515 for me. I find that I'm able to think and meditate-no ipod for me. Sometimes Ms C joins me and we mostly walk/run in silence.

Last fall I had an experience that's scary to anyone who is 'out dressed'. I was pulled over by a cop and asked what I was doing, like it wasn't obvious? After I told him I was 'running' he seemed satisfied and left. On my return home I was stopped again by the same cop. By then I was soaked and my bra was very visible under my top. I asked if I as being detained and yes was his response (oh no, I'm going to jail dressed as a girl). After 10 agonizing minutes he let me go with no explanation as to why I was singled out, maybe it was just for a story to tell back at the station. It made me realize how vulnerable we all are in the eyes of the law. But I'm still out there.

Hugs, Elly

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That encounter with a cop sounds awful. So glad it hasn't stopped you from going out.

Rachel X

Melissa said...

You should have reported that cop to his authorities. What he did to you, was nothing short of harassment. You weren't breaking any laws by running before sunrise.

Melissa XX