Eleanor stepped out once again into the big-gurl world, I met with the facilitator of the local Tri-Ess group. Through Melissa's help I found a group that meets sort of near to me. I e-mailed the address given and was contacted by Donna and she gave me her phone number. I called and asked for Donna and was kind of shocked when the male voice answering said that 'I'm Donna'; I then replied that I'm Eleanor and was calling about the support group (two guys with girl names talking on the phone!). We agreed to meet at a half-way point and last night we met at a MacDonald's. It was like something out of a John leCarre novel, we told each other what we would be wearing (in drab) and what kind of cars we drove, the only thing missing was a 'hand-off' of secret documents.
Once we started talking I felt OK with Donna, here I was with a like-minded person, my first encounter with another trans person; even though I feel like I know so many of you out there. She explained what Tri-Ess was all about and asked me to tell her something about myself, my story. She told me that she has held seminars in south Florida and in other parts of the country on transgender issues. We ended up chatting for 45 minutes, it was a very pleasant conversation. The next meeting is a week from Saturday and I'm going to try and make it. I need to meet with other like-minded people in addition to the therapy sessions that keep me going. I intend on going by myself the first time to check it out and then I'd like to bring my wife along, Donna explained that Tri-Ess is also for the wives and SOs as a support and a help with learning to deal with what we are. It's not going to be easy to convince Ms C to join me especially if I'm dressed. All she can say is no (it won't be the first time). Now, what to wear?
Hugs, Elly
4 comments:
Elly, I'm so happy I was able to point you in the right direction, but I really don't deserve a whole lot of credit. All I did was do a Google search of support groups in your state, you are the one who took the big first step! Congratulations, girl! I hope Tri-Ess works out for you, and that you can persuade your wife to join you. Maybe if you go with her as your male self once or twice at first, to let her get acquainted with the other women, she might feel more comfortable going with Elly later on.
Big hug!
Melissa XX
Terrific! Meeting kindred spirits in person will be a huge step forward. Don't pressure Ms. C too much, though. She needs to find her comfort level herself. Invite her, sure, but don't be surprised if she wants to wait awhile to join you. As scary as it was for you to make this move, triple it for her.
I'm very happy for you, El, and I look forward to a report on the meeting!
This is big stuff. I am very happy for you. I like your instinct about going solo on for your first visit.
There will be people in the room with whom you are more simpatico than others. Find those people first so you know who to introduce Mrs. El to on her first visit.
What to wear indeed. Good luck!
Mrs. J attends our local support group with me and it's been good for her. It was only after a few months attending as bloke that I turned up as girl though.
Post a Comment