"and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" John 8:32

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

leg-of-manatee

It's been over six months with hair-free legs and I love it. No one has made any comment other than my wife and I wear shorts quite a bit here in South Florida so my legs are definitely seen. I've got the shaving down to a quick 12-15 minute time frame and seldom nick myself anymore. How wonderful to walk around with the smooth feeling even when wearing jeans; better, the few times I've gone out with a skirt on.

There have been a few times of complaint from my wife, Ms C when she asked what do I say when my sons ask about your legs (have them ask me) and for a while she didn't feel too comfortable touching them early on but that has changed too. I think she has come to accept the need I have to keep them smooth, it helps my spirit immensely. And no, I don't look like Michael Phelps with shaved legs though I did swim in high school.

Went out for some air this afternoon and saw a manatee and her calf in the Indian River Lagoon. Properly, they are called West Indian Manatee or commonly, a sea cow. They are very docile, gentle creatures that eat only sea grasses and plants (they love cabbage and lettuce but don't get caught-illegal to feed or disturb them). They are a very slow-moving mammal with a tiny snout and a large rear tail, they are shaped like an American football and can be several hundred pounds (100+kg). About their only enemy is cold weather, mankind, and his boats. Nearly everyone I've seen has a scar from a prop contact. Years ago, they were hunted for their meat and I've been told that they taste 'just like chicken'!

Hugs, Elly

2 comments:

Viv said...

My wife went through the same thing. At first, my smooth legs bugged her, especially when she was maybe unsure if my wanting to transition eventually meant I was eventually leaving her (not the case). Plus, I think it was stubble from days I forgot that really bugged her more than the smooth legs, but now she's completely used to it. She'll tease me about them sometimes, but otherwise is fine.

Melissa said...

Have you tried epilating? I couldn't stand the stubble I would get a day or two later when I shaved, so I bought an epilator, and I've been epilating now for about twenty years.

Isn't it funny how nearly every exotic animal, is purported to taste like chicken? Manatees are cool.

Melissa XX