"and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" John 8:32

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens


Monday, January 31, 2011

Conch Republic

Last month on our vacation we took a day trip to Key West, Florida as it was only about 30mi (~50km) from where we were staying. The Florida Keys are an archipelago that stretches 130mi (~220km) from the mainland into the Gulf of Mexico. Unofficially, they are known as 'The Conch Republic' with Key West as it's capital. Key West is a very open and tolerant place as is most of the Keys, it's a different lifestyle there and very laid-back in attitude.

We were having a beer in an outside bar that supplied live music during the day as well as the night. We were chatting with another couple for a bit and then two women came and sat down beside me, I turned and greeted them and began to chat with them asking where they were from and she said, "the State of Misery"; at which I responded with, "you mean Missouri?" and she said, "yes". This unidentified woman went on to tell me of the intolerance with which she and her 'partner' have to endure and live in; it's not safe for them to be a seen as a couple and that's why they were there in Key West for a vacation. We had a pleasant conversation and I ended up sharing with this total stranger that I identified as transgendered, part of the 'club' so to speak.

The unofficial motto of Key West is, "One Human Family" and I think that they really try to live as such there.

Hugs, Elly

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Been there once way back in the mid 80's, and I loved it. But it was a very long solitary haul all the way down from Richmond, Va. and back, in an un-airconditioned, 2 liter, four cylinder vehicle. I went down on Memorial day weekend. It took 2 1/2 days to get there (55 MPH speed limit back the). Everyone else was leaving when I arrived, so I had no trouble with crowded motels, restaurants, or bars. It was very steamy by then too. Every time the sun came out from behind a cloud, it felt like it was three feet away! Very beautiful place, though.

Melissa XX

Halle said...

I suppose we should be glad for these small havens in a world of intolerance. Why is it I feel as though most of the world is primitive instead of what my mind tells me; most of the world just does not care.

I wonder what makes them different?

Sounds nice anyway! Maybe we will get there some day (to the keys that is). :)

Hugs,

Halle