Yesterday we celebrated the birthday of a great American, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As such it was a holiday for me and many other federal and state employees and this meant that Eleanor had a holiday too.
I decided to go to a huge mall in a nearby city and do some shopping. I dressed in a white blouse with 3/4-length sleeves, denim above-the-knee skirt, and sandals and I chose to wear my hair down. This mall was another very upscale mall that even had valet parking for those that wanted to use a service like that-not this gurl. There were some very high-end stores there that I had never entered, stores like Nieman-Marcus and Nordstrums, to me they were almost museum like with their very tastefully designed displays. They were definitely out of my price range but Macy's was having a huge sale and I was able to get a sweater marked down from $50 to a mere $10. I also bought a purse that was marked down 50%. It was quite pleasant to be mam'ed several times as I shopped, I felt confident and comfortable being 'me'; and the likely hood of being seen by someone that I knew was minimal and it was a safe place to be.
When it came time to eat something, I chose a seafood restaurant that was a little pricey but looked quite elegant. Entering, I was greeted by the maitre d' and mam'ed again and led to a table that was sort of in the center of the dining room and had the chair pulled out for me! That was a first. I ordered a salad and a shrimp appetizer with a glass of Chardonnay which was all very good. I was one of the few there dining alone but was comfortable with myself. The whole day's experience was very good, didn't get any strange looks or stares and so I guess I 'passed' again in a day-time environment.
Didn't find any shoes though....
Hugs, Elly
2 comments:
Gaining confidence, and picking up bargains. Well done! :)
Glad you got to enjoy the day out, Elly. When it comes time to pay for your meal, or something you bought, how do you do it? Cash or card? Do you have a card in your femme name? I was going to get a card that said Melissa, but they wanted the SS# of the person who's name appeared on the card.
Melissa XX
Post a Comment