I'm nowhere in the same realm as they were, but we saw a film the other night that is worthy of mention; The Stoning of Saraya. It is about the brutal persecution that a woman has to endure at the hands of her husband, it's about the stupid religious laws that allow and embrace such behavior and it says a lot of the intolerance that humans place on one another. It shows the negative side of Sharia Law but then we have to remember the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem Witch trials along with the Jim Crow Laws that were a part of our culture of resent history. It caused me to pause and think how I have mistreated my fellow humans intentionally or not; how my wife feels about my transgender state and what pain I have caused her. That film also reminded me that we don't live in a black and white world, there are a lot of colors in between. I guess one could call it tolerance. Something the world needs more of.
As a 'male-bodied' person with a girl-at-times brain I feel that I can see the injustice and the gender dominance of the male. Women are treated still as second-class in many environs and situations, the 'she can't do that 'cause she's just a girl' idea. It's bad and wrong and those of us blessed with being able to see things from a girl perspective need to stand up and correct the thinking. Things have moved forward even in my lifetime but there is still much correction needed to eliminate the misogyny that is the human experience.
1 comment:
I was at my mother's for our weekly family supper last night like I always am on Monday night. My Sister and niece hadn't arrived yet, so I had to sit in the den with my bro-in-law. He had the TV on, watching Chris Matthews. Matthews had a very plain looking middle aged woman on, expressing views my b-i-l didn't agree with,so he instantly started insulting her sexuality. Looking over at me and grinning ear to ear, he mockingly said, "Look at her, she probably hasn't had any c**k in ten years!" I just shook my head. I can't believe some of the the things he says.
Now this is someone who came from an upper middle class family in Connecticut, graduated from a major Midwestern university and retired as a Lt. Col. in the U.S Army Reserves. Still he's a sexist pig.
What is sadly ironic about these types of males, is that they become that way, by being put on pedestal by their mothers when they are growing up. Go figure!
Melissa XX
Post a Comment