My friend Petra over at Voyages en Rose inspired me to write this about one of our favorite femme items, purses. She was talking about hands and what to do with them when dressed, there are no pockets in most women's clothes. Guy clothes have pockets on everything and they are used to store 'stuff' and a place for one's hands; without pockets guys would be forced to do what women do without thinking, they would need to carry a purse.
Last fall we had a boating accident and I found myself lying backside down on the deck. Nothing serious enough to go to the ER but I ended up at my wife's chiropractor for x-rays and adjustments. This little wisp of a woman did magic and after about 6 weeks I was back running again. She did however, admonish me for carry around this lumpy wallet and keys in my back pockets; I was told how hard it is on one's back to sit on this uneven pile. "Too bad that guys can't carry their stuff in a bag" she said. That was enough for me as I began to do just that, carry a bag.
I started out carrying a military-surplus shoulder bag; small, yet big enough for a sketch pad (more on that in a later post), sunglasses, wallet, keys, cell phone, and hair brush (see Bad Hair Day). I carried it every where I went and received no funny looks. This was soon replaced by a men's leather bag that is much more stylish and is on the androgynous side. I have even carried this bag when out en femme and it works with our casual lifestyle. No need for a wallet cause there are card holders, pen slots and room for some make-up essentials too!
Last weekend at the grocery store I ran into my chiropractor and thanked her for all the help she gave me. Of course I had to show her my 'purse', she complimented me on taking her advise and said that she wished others would do as I had done. I said I'm setting a trend in our Florida coastal community, the first 'guy-with-a-purse'. I have found that carrying a purse also seems to help with the pink fog that seems to be ever present these days. Purses rule!
Hugs, Elly
1 comment:
I did a blog on this subject a while back. Carrying a bag just makes so much more sense, than trying to carry everything in an overstuffed wallet or your pockets.
I don't know if you were ever a Seinfeld fan, but there was a particularly funny scene in one episode, where George (Jason Alexander) pulled out his wallet, and it was so stuffed with receipts, business cards, addresses, etc. that it was about four inches thick! That is a slight exaggeration I'm sure, but I have know guys who carried wallets nearly that thick in their back pockets.
It's funny how what a bag looks like, make all the difference in the world, as to whether it is deemed acceptable for a male to carry. If it is made of canvas or nylon, and looks military or sporty, then it's automatically acceptable, but if it's leather and stylish, then it starts to generate astonished stares and stupid comments.
Melissa XX
Post a Comment