"and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" John 8:32

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens


Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Language of Bodies

Last week I had an opportunity to view presentations by both a man and a woman, both of whom have advanced degrees (doctorates) and are involved in the scientific community. Both of the presentations were similar in nature. The male talked from the stage and behind a podium. He had a PowerPoint presentation complete with laser pointer. The female spoke from the floor in front of the stage without script. The female spoke first followed two days later by her male counterpart.

I immediately became aware when the woman spoke that she wasn't using just her mouth, her whole body was involved in her presentation; her arm and hand movements, the movements of her legs as she glided in a fluid motion, her head movement. She spoke with confidence and ease and I realised that I was being treated to a study in feminine movement. Some of the stances and poses she took I feel are a part of my natural being, but have I got a lot to learn! Her total presentation had a very calming effect.

In contrast, the male was very 'male', dark blue suit and almost no movement other than arm and mouth. He stood rather still with legs planted apart in a very male manner, I'm a man and I own it. Very corporate-ease and stale, one could imagine a corporate board room with a long table and men in suits sitting around it with a token woman for balance. The material presented was so dry as to be dead.

Is it like a contrast between ballet and TV-wrestling?

On another note, I'd like to remind my US readers that this Thursday is Veteran's Day, once in an earlier time it was called Armistice Day. 'On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the war to end all wars ceased'. I know that sometimes war can be justified but at the same time it's also justified by ego too. Irregardless, thank-you to those of you who have served your country.

Hugs, Elly

No comments: