"and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" John 8:32

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens


Friday, July 23, 2010

Know the Truth

The passage from the Gospel of John is one of my favorites and I guess it has meaning with my acceptance of me as me. The truth is the truth and nothing more.

Several years ago there was an exhibit at The Art Institute of Chicago that featured common household artifacts from the early years of the Soviet Union. Very 20's styled art-deco imitations. I remember that there was a plate with a Cyrillic inscription which was translated into English, KNOW THE TRUTH AND IT WILL SET YOU FREE. I was very surprised that an atheist state would use a phrase from the Bible. But then again, they did a lot of crazy things.

When I knew the truth about myself it was as if a heavy weight was removed from my being, I felt light and free for the first time. Being a transgender person and accepting it as a truth was liberating. It's not something that we choose to be, we just 'are'; nothing to be ashamed of (though current society frowns on us) quite the opposite. I didn't find this truth on my own, I've got a very good therapist and some very helpful friends here in blogistan. And to you my friends, thank-you!

Hugs, Elly

3 comments:

Petra Bellejambes said...

Welcome Elly!

Nice to see you here. I look forward to following your adventures and gaining some new insights into me too.

Happy blogging to you.

Cheers - Petra

Melissa said...

Casting off that totally unwarranted burden of guilt and shame, for a condition we were saddled with before birth, is indeed a great relief, and so necessary for our acceptance by others. How can we expect others to accept us, if we remain ashamed of ourselves?

I hope you have found a support group in your area. It really helps your self-confidence to get together with like minded souls. I've been going to one for about a year now. I felt a bit out of place at first, but now I feel right at home with them. We have both male to females, and females to males in our group. And internet search of transgender support groups in your area should come up with some suggestions, or better still, your therapist might be able to recommend a group.

Melissa XX

Leslie Ann said...

Elly, I think you've made your peace with this condition much better than I have. Accepting myself has been such a struggle.

Nice group of followers you're getting; some of my favorite ladies! Not a rotten peach in the bunch.